Chris Robinson and Phil Stacey Speak About Their Time on American Idol

Chris Robinson and Phil Stacey were both eliminated this week on American Idol, the first double elimination ever in the show's history.

Entertainment Tonight spoke with the two Idol finalists and asked them about their relationships, their futures and who they think will walk away as this years American Idol.


ET: Was there a specific performance where the reaction from the judges surprised you?

PHIL: My big surprise came [during] country week. I am more in my comfort zone in country music, but I was so used to getting the critical feedback that when Randy was, "Dude, you were good this week," I was, "Really? Sweet!" That was the one time that my reaction was really surprised.

CHRIS: I remember back in the earlier rounds, I didn't think "Geek in the Pink" would go over too well with the judges. I went out there skeptical. I thought, "Would they like something different?" I went out there and did it. They seemed to really love it. I am glad I did that now.

ET: We know Phil is married, but Chris, are you dating anyone? We heard you might be seeing Lauren Conrad?

CHRIS: I just got out of a three-and-a-half year relationship back home. That's about it. All the other stuff is just rumors. Those people are just my friends and acquaintances. I am pretty much single right now, but still respecting the fact that I got out of a relationship with my girlfriend.

ET: Phil, your commitment to the Navy goes through October 2008. Do you know for sure if you will be able to go on the "American Idol" tour?

PHIL: My primary responsibility is to the United States Navy. The possibility exists that they will need me for a mission. If that is the case, I am committed to following through with my commitment to the Navy. So far, they have been 100 percent flexible with me with "American Idol." They have been gems. They are a huge support base for me. I give the Navy all the props in the world for letting me do what I have done this far.

ET: What song do you want to sing on the tour?

CHRIS: I haven't thought that far ahead. I have a lot of songs in the database. I've just got to figure out which one will best suit the style of music I will be coming out with on my album.

PHIL: I think if I get the opportunity to do the tour, I would really like to do something -- the "Idol Gives Back" thing really changed my life. I think one thing I want to do is be a positive influence on people, and a role model of sorts. I think as a Navy guy, I would like to go out and do something patriotic like "God Bless the U.S.A.", something to represent the Navy and be a unifying factor for us as Americans.

ET: Chris, how was it that you and Blake became so close?

CHRIS: It started in Hollywood. It was just one of those things where we clicked. We had a lot in common: music taste and music style, personality traits, and loyalty and friendship. It was just one of those things where we bonded.

ET: Chris, you had such unique looks on this show -- where did you get your clothes? Were they your own, or did you go shopping?

CHRIS: We would go shopping. I don't remember the names [of the stores]. I remember seeing things and liking it. Sometimes the outfits would go together and sometimes they wouldn't, but it was on purpose that I did that. When I shopped, I tried to fit my style and the theme of the week.

ET: Who do you see as the current frontrunner to become the next "American Idol"?

PHIL: I think the four people who are left have individual strengths that set them apart. Blake is most likely the most original contestant ever on "American Idol." He blew it out this week with Bon Jovi. Melinda is possibly the greatest singer I have ever heard on the show. Lakisha sings with so much passion, it is hard not to get chills. Jordin has a range that lasts for days. Her upper notes have so much power behind them. I think it is anybody's ballgame at this point.

CHRIS: I feel the same exact way.

Source