Fantasy Fest for Locals?

What's up Fantasy Fest is starting this week, with Goombay. This will be my second one, and I'm pretty excited. Last year's Fantasy Fest 2007 was a blast. The vibe on the street is super friendly and communal, bacchanalian and cheerful. The best costumes are the ones people dream up themselves, or the body paint done by a very good artist. And I like anything with plumage, so the more feathers the better. That's why this year, for Fantasy Fest 2008 I decided to be a raven. That was about six months ago. Now, with just a few days left I have given up and will go with the pieces I did buy here and there. I will still call myself a raven, only now it's impressionistic.

Locals I've talked to are not enthusiastic about Fantasy Fest. I guess year after year it loses its shine. If you just go to look, then I can understand why it goes stale. Drunk people in scimpy clothing is only interesting for so long. But if you go to Fantasy Fest to participate, wear a great costume and have fun, well how can that ever get old and boring?

Of course you have to have a little bit of exhibitionist in you. Or even if you don't, you can wear a mask and be somebody else. That's the beauty! Costumes can hide your identity while you behave outrageously.

One local said it's weird to go and see friends of daughters of friends in such scimpy clothing. He will just go and have dinner on a balcony and watch from above for a few hours. Another local just didn't want to talk about why, but said she doesn't care about it. Another said she's boycotting it altogether, perhaps because of some body issues she's having lately. I have yet to find a local who is excited for Fantasy Fest 2008.